mingli <liming...@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank Erik, and I will try it, but the new question is that the root
> of the NFS server mapped as nobody at the NFS client.
>
> For this issue, I set up a new test NFS server and NFS client, and
> with the same option, at this test environment, the file owner
> mapped correctly, it confused me.

>From the original post in this thread it wasn't clear if you're doing
this on a local lan, and if both server and client are opensolaris
machines.

Maybe I missed it.

I don't have any problems now and don't use any of the options to
sharenfs that you showed.

  zfs get sharenfs z3/projects
  NAME         PROPERTY  VALUE     SOURCE
  z3/projects  sharenfs  on        local

Just a simple `on'.

At first, I had all kinds of problems and being a newbie nfs user
seemed to see all kinds of strange phenomena, including seeing
  `nobody:nobody' as owner:group

I had the version for nfs set properly on the opensolaris server but
it turned to be only set for the server:

grep NFS_SERVER_VERSMAX /etc/default/nfs
  #NFS_SERVER_VERSMAX=4
  NFS_SERVER_VERSMAX=3

But somehow had completely overlooked the CLIENT setting:

grep NFS_CLIENT_VERSMAX /etc/default/nfs

   grep NFS_CLIENT_VERSMAX /etc/default/nfs
  # NFS_CLIENT_VERSMAX=4
  # NFS_CLIENT_VERSMAX=3

I'd been running with both commented out instead of what I needed,
like this:
     NFS_CLIENT_VERSMAX=3
     (uncommented)

The client was a linux machine and it was the client trying to mount
the share as version 4.

What tipped me off was accidentally seeing something in the output of the
linux `mount' cmd that indicated the share was mounted as version 4
nfs.

Once I made the correct setting for NFS_CLIENT... things just started
working.