Hi all,

I need to replace a disk in a zfs pool on a production server (X4240 running Solaris 10) today and won't have access to my documentation there. That's why I would like to have a good plan on paper before driving to that location. :-)

The current tank pool looks as follows:

  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME         STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank         ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t2d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t3d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t5d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t4d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t15d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t7d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t8d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t9d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t10d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t11d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t12d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t13d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Note that disk c1t15d0 is being used and has taken ove rthe duty of c1t6d0. c1t6d0 failed and was replaced with a new disk a couple of months ago. However, the new disk does not show up in /dev/rdsk and /dev/dsk. I was told that the disk has to initialized first with the SCSI BIOS. I am going to do so today (reboot the server). Once the disks shows up in /dev/rdsk I am planning to do the following:

        zpool attach tank c1t7d0 c1t6d0

This hopefully gives me a three-way mirror:

          mirror     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t15d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t7d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t6d0   ONLINE       0     0     0

And then a

        zpool dettach tank c1t15d0

to get c1t15d0 out of the mirror to finally have

          mirror     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t6d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t7d0   ONLINE       0     0     0

again. Is that a good plan? I am then intending to do

        zpool add tank mirror c1t14d0 c1t15d0

to add another 146GB to the pool.

Please let me know if I am missing anything. This is a production server. A failure of the pool would be fatal.

Thanks a lot,

 Andreas