My zfs filesystem hangs when transferring large filesystems (>500GB)
with a couple dozen snapshots between servers using zfs send/receive
with netcat. The transfer hangs about halfway through and is
unkillable, freezing all IO to the filesystem, requiring a hard
reboot. I have attempted this three times and failed every time.

On the destination server I use:
nc -l -p 8023 | zfs receive -vd sas

On the source server I use:
zfs send -vR promise1/rbac...@daily.1 | nc mothra 8023

The filesystems on both servers are the same (zfs version 3). The
source zpool is version 22 (build 129), and the destination server is
version 14 (build 111b).

Rsync does not have this problem and performs extremely well. However,
it will not transfer snapshots. Two other send/receives (234GB and
451GB)  between the same servers have worked fine without hanging.

Thanks,

Daniel Bakken