On Sat, 10 Apr 2010, Harry Putnam wrote:

Am I way wrong on this, and further I'm curious if it would make more
versatile use of the space if I were to put the mirrored pairs into
one big pool containing 3 mirrored pairs (6 discs)

Besides more versatile use of the space, you would get 3X the
performance.

That speed up surprises me. Can you explain briefly how that works?

It is quite simple. With three sets of mirrors in the pool, the data is distributed across the three mirrors. There is 3X the hardware available for each write. There is more than 3X the hardware for each read since either side of a mirror may be used to satisfy a read.

If that is a bit much to ask here, maybe a pointer to specific
documentation?

That would be too much to ask since it is clear that you did not spend more than a few minutes reading the documentation. Spend some more minutes.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn