On 12 April, 2010 - Bob Friesenhahn sent me these 0,9K bytes:

> On Sun, 11 Apr 2010, James Van Artsdalen wrote:
>
>> OpenSolaris needs support for the TRIM command for SSDs.  This command
>> is issued to an SSD to indicate that a block is no longer in use and
>> the SSD may erase it in preparation for future writes.
>
> There does not seem to be very much `need' since there are other ways
> that a SSD can know that a block is no longer in use so it can be
> erased.  In fact, ZFS already uses an algorithm (COW) which is friendly
> for SSDs.
>
> Zfs is designed for high thoughput, and TRIM does not seem to improve
> throughput.  Perhaps it is most useful for low-grade devices like USB
> dongles and compact flash.

For flash to overwrite a block, it needs to clear it first.. so yes,
clearing it out in the background (after erasing) instead of just before
the timing critical write(), you can make stuff go faster.

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, st...@acc.umu.se, http://www.acc.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå