On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 06:17:47PM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> But, I'm too unskilled in solaris and zfs admin to be risking a total
> melt down if I try that before gaining a more thorough understanding.

Grab virtualbox or something similar and set yourself up a test
environment.  In general, and for you in particular, you will learn
the most this way - including learning what not to fear.

You can also experiment with test pools in files, using a file per
vdev instead of a disk per vdev.   There's no need for these vdevs to
be especially large, in order to practice things like attaching
mirrors or sending between pools.

> If its possible to add a mirrored set as a vdev to a zpool like what
> seems to be happening in (3) above, why wouldn't I just add the two
> new disks as mirrored vdev to z2 to start off, rather than additional
> mirrors, and never remove the original disks of z2.

If you have enough ports and bays for all the drives, sure.  There was
an assumption from your earlier messages that the 1.5's were to
replace the original drives.  This involves the same consolidation
steps as before, with an add of the new 1.5TB mirror set as an
additional step, basically anywhere in the sequence.

Oh, another thing, just to make sure before you start, since this is
evidently older hardware: are you running a 32-bit or 64-bit kernel?
The 32-bit kernel won't use drives larger than 1TB.

> So having some data on rpool (besides the OS I mean) is not
> necessarily a bad thing then?

Not at all; laptops would be screwed otherwise.

--
Dan.