On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 08:01:27PM -0700, Peter Tripp wrote:
> So I decided I would attach the disks to 2nd system (with working fans) where
> I could backup the data to tape. So here's where I got dumb...I ran 'zpool
> export'.  Of course, I never actually ended up attaching the disks to another
> machine, but ever since that export I've been unable to import the pool at
> all. I've ordered a replacement 1TB disk, but it hasn't arrived yet. Since I
> got no errors from the scrub I ran while the array was degraded, I'm pretty
> confident that the remaining 3 disks have valid data.
>
> * Should I be able to import a degraded pool?

Did you try with -f?  I doubt it will help.

> * If not, shouldn't there be a warning when exporting a degraded pool?

Interesting point.

> * If replace 1TB dead disk with a blank disk, might the import work?

Only if the import is failing because the dead disk is nonresponsive
in a way that makes the import hang.  Otherwise, you'd import the pool
first then replace the drive.

> * Are there any tools (or commercial services) for ZFS recovery?

Dunno about commercial services, zpool and zdb seem to work most of
the time.

> I read a blog post (which naturally now I can't find) where someone
> in similar circumstances was able to import his pool after restoring
> /etc/zfs/zpool.cache from a backup before the 'zpool
> export'. Naturally this guy was doing it with ZFS-FUSE under Linux,
> so it's another step removed, but can someone explain to me the
> logic & risks of trying such a thing?  Will it work if the
> zpool.cache comes from 1day/1week/1month old backup?

If you have auto-snapshots of your running BE (/etc) from before the
import, that should work fine.  Note that you can pass import an
argument "-c cachefile" so you don't have to interfere with the
current system one.

You'd have to do this on the original system, I think.

The logic is that the cachefile contains copies of the labels of the
missing devices, and can substitute for the devices themselves when
importing a degradedd pool (typically at boot).

This is useful enough that i'd like to see some of the reserved area
between the on-disk labels and the first metaslab on each disk, used
to store a copy of the cache file / same data.  That way every pool
member has the information about other members necessary to import a
degraded pool.   Even if it had to be extracted first with zdb to be
used as a separate zpool.cache as above, it would be helpful for this
scenario.

--
Dan.