Yesterday, Arne Jansen wrote:

Paul Archer wrote:

Because it's easier to change what I'm doing than what my DBA does, I
decided that I would put rsync back in place, but locally. So I changed
things so that the backups go to a staging FS, and then are rsync'ed
over to another FS that I take snapshots on. The only problem is that
the snapshots are still in the 500GB range.

So, I need to figure out why these snapshots are taking so much more
room than they were before.

This, BTW, is the rsync command I'm using (and essentially the same
command I was using when I was rsync'ing from the NetApp):

rsync -aPH --inplace --delete /staging/oracle_backup/
/backups/oracle_backup/

Try adding --no-whole-file to rsync. rsync disables block-by-block
comparison if used locally by default.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize rsync had that behavior. It looks like that got my snapshots back to the 50GB range. I'm going to try dedup on the staging FS as well, so I can do a side-by-side of which gives me the better space savings.

Paul