> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of John
>
> Just to add more details, the issue only occurred for the first direct
> access to the file.
> From a windows client that has never access the file, you can issue:
> dir \\filer\arch\myfolder\myfile.TXT and you will get file not found,
> if the file is named myfile.txt on the filesystem.
>
> If you browse to the folder using Windows explorer, everything works.
> Subsequent direct access to the file (using 'dir') will work as well,
> as the windows client may be caching the folder information.

In that case, I have a hunch the problem is not caused by opensolaris, but a
windows bug.  Try the following, and see what you get:

(a) If you can access file.txt (because you accessed it first) but cannot
access file.TXT (because you attempted it second), try rebooting and see if
afterward, maybe you can access file.TXT first and then cannot access
file.txt

(b) Create a share on another windows machine.  Browse to the second windows
machine from the first windows machine.  See if the behavior is the same,
going from windows to windows ... without even having opensolaris in the
mix.

(c) Install wireshark or MS Network Monitor.  Sniff the network interface
for CIFS traffic while you make these requests.  I bet you'll see that
Windows doesn't even send the request to the server, upon failure.  As
evidenced by test (a) above, the server will respond just fine even with
mixed case.