Ian Collins wrote:
On 04/17/10 12:56 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
From: Erik Trimble [mailto:erik.trim...@oracle.com]
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 7:35 PM
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a snapshot?
Eric hits
the
nail right on the head:  you *don't* want to support such a "feature",
as it breaks the fundamental assumption about what a snapshot is (and
represents).
Ok, point taken, but what you've stated is just an opinion.  It's not a
fundamental necessity, or a mathematical necessity, or impossible to think
otherwise, that a snapshot is 100% and always will be immutable.

But is a fundamental of zfs:

     snapshot

         A read-only version of a file  system  or  volume  at  a
         given  point in time. It is specified as filesys...@name
         or vol...@name.

As Ian said. Also, take a look at the old conversation about writeable snapshots - sure, it's my /opinion/ that snapshots should be read-only, but it's also a fundamental design decision made when ZFS was started. There's actually non-trivial assumptions in the code about the immutability of a snapshot, and I'd not want to go down that path of changing a fundamental assumption of the whole system.

The problem with mutable snapshots is that you've moved over into the realm of a "versioning" filesystem, and that's a whole 'nother rats nest of complicated issues.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support