> From: Richard Elling [mailto:richard.ell...@gmail.com]
> >
> > Um ... All the same time.
> > Even if I "stat" those directories ...
> > Access:  Modify:  and Change:  are all useless...
>
> which is why you need to stat the destination :-)

Ahh.  I see it now.
By stat'ing the destination instead of the snapshot directory, you get the
added bonus of being able to identify which snapshot versions actually have
a changed file in it.  I like it.

The only negative I see about that is:  Some tools such as TrueCrypt
intentionally keep the mtime on their files constant.  It would be nice to
be able to identify authoritatively which files have changed or not, without
relying on the mtime.  But I think that's a corner case, and nothing that
can be improved for now.  So, this is probably the best strategy, I agree
with you.  ;-)

Stat the file itself, not the snapshot directory.

> > How in the heck can you identify when a snapshot was taken, if you're
> not
> > relying on the name of the snapshot?
>
> "zfs list -t snapshot" lists in time order.

Good to know.  I'll keep that in mind for my "zfs send" scripts but it's not
relevant for the case at hand.  Because "zfs list" isn't available on the
NFS client, where the users are trying to do this sort of stuff.

> >> It would be cool to only list files which are different.
> >
> > Know of any way to do that?
>
> cmp

Oh, no.  Because cmp and diff require reading both files, it could take
forever, especially if you have a lot of snapshots to check, with a large
file or set of files...  Well, what the heck.  Might as well make it
optional.  Sometimes people will just want to check a single small file.

> But since the world has moved onto time machine, time slider, and
> whatever Windows users use, is this tool relegated to the CLI
> dinosaurs? ;-)

It's not hard to add an IE context extension and/or create some other gui
frontend in whatever OS you're using.  But command line comes first.