> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Albert Frenz
>
> since i am really new to zfs, i got 2 important questions for starting.
> i got a nas up and running zfs in stripe mode with 2x 1,5tb hdd. my
> question for future proof would be, if i could add just another drive
> to the pool and zfs can integrate it flawlessly? and second if this hdd
> could also be another size than 1,5tb? so could i put in 2tb also and
> integrate it?

Absolutely no problem.

Just be aware that if *any* of your devices fail, all is lost.  (Because
you've said it's configured as a nonredundant stripe.)

Also, one of the best features of ZFS is automatic checksumming.  I love
that demonstration where they create a raid set, shutdown, insert the disks
into some other system, and start writing random bytes to random sectors ...
Put the disks back into the first system and bring it all up.  No data
errors, because they were detected and corrected.

Unfortunately, in a nonredundant configuration, you can only detect errors.
Not correct them.

So the arguments in favor of adding some redundancy are pretty compelling
for all but the most worthless data.  In your case, you would only need to
add one more disk ... 3x 1.5T disks in a raidz set ... total 3T usable, and
1 disk redundancy.