Hi all,

we are encountering severe problems on our X4240 (64GB, 16 disks) running Solaris 10 and ZFS. From time to time (5-6 times a day)

• FrontBase hangs or crashes
• VBox virtual machine do hang
• Other applications show rubber effect (white screen) while moving the windows

I have been tearing my hair off where this comes from. Could be software bugs, but in all these applications from different vendors? Could be a Solaris bug or bad memory!? Rather unlikely. I just was hit by a thought. On another machine with 6GB RAM I fired up a second virtual machine (vbox). This drove the machine almost to a halt. The second vbox instance never came up. I finally saw a panel raised by the first vbox instance that there was not enough memory available (non severe vbox error) and the virtual machine was halted!! After killing the process of the second vbox I could simply press resume and the first vbox machine continued to work properly.

OK, now this starts to make sense. My idea is that ZFS is blocking/allocating all of the available system memory. When an app (FrontBase, VBox,...) is started and suddenly requests larger chunks of memory from the system, the malloc calls fail because ZFS has allocated all the memory or because the system cannot release the memory quickly enough and make it available fo rthe requesting apps, so the malloc fails or times out or whatever which is not catched in the apps and makes them hang or crash or stall for minutes. Does this make any sense? Any similar experiences?

Followup to my owm message. On the X4240 I have

set zfs:zfs_arc_max = 0x780000000

in /etc/system. Would it be a good idea to reduce that to say

set zfs:zfs_arc_max = 0x280000000

?? Hints greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

 Andreas