On 23 Apr, 2010, at 7.31, Phillip Oldham wrote:

> I'm not actually issuing any when starting up the new instance. None are
> needed; the instance is booted from an image which has the zpool
> configuration stored within, so simply starts and sees that the devices
> aren't available, which become available after I've attached the EBS device.

Forgive my ignorance with EC2/EBS, but why doesn't the instance remember that
there were EBS volumes attached?  Why aren't they automatically attached prior
to booting solaris within the instance?  The error output from "zpool status"
that you're seeing matches what I would expect if we are attempting to import
the pool at boot, and the disks aren't present.