> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Edward Ned Harvey
>
> Look up the inode number of README.  (for example, ls -i README)
>                 (suppose it’s inode 12345)
> find /tank/.zfs/snapshot -inum 12345
>
> Problem is, the find command will run for a long time.
>
> Is there any faster way to find the file name(s) when all you know is
> the inode number?  (Actually, all you know is all the info that’s in
> the present directory, which is not limited to inode number; but, inode
> number is the only information that I personally know could be useful.)

Due to lack of response, and based on my personal knowledge, and lack of any
useful response anywhere else I've asked this question, I'm drawing the
conclusion it's not possible to quickly lookup the name(s) of an inode.

Which means in ZFS, if you want to find the previous snapshots of some
file/directory that was renamed/moved, there are only two possibilities:

Assume the name and location didn't change.  So you can quickly "ls" or
"stat" specific already-known name(s) in the snapshot directories.
- or -
Walk all the trees of all the snapshots searching for inode X.  Which would
be probably extremely slow.  (Probably many hours to complete, in a typical
small business fileserver, linearly dependent on number of files in the
filesystem and number of snapshots to traverse.)

BTW, this is not an issue for Ontap.  Which is to say, yes it's absolutely
possible to maintain reverse inode lookup tables too, but apparently not
implemented in ... other filesystems including ZFS.

I think an inode --> name lookup table would be useful in something like
zhist.  And it's one way of solving this problem without violating any
Ontap-style .snapshot directory patents.  So maybe this would be a good
thing to request in future versions of ZFS.