You are awesome.  ;-)
When I said I was 90% certain, it turns out, that was a spot-on assessment
of my own knowledge.  I did not know about setting the "bootfs" property.

I see that you are apparently storing the "zfs send" datastream in a file.
Of course, discouraged, but no problem as long as it's no problem.  I
personally prefer to "zfs send | zfs receive" directly onto removable
storage.

One more really important gotcha.  Let's suppose the version of zfs on the
CD supports up to zpool 14.  Let's suppose your "live" system had been fully
updated before crash, and let's suppose the zpool had been upgraded to zpool
15.  Wouldn't that mean it's impossible to restore your rpool using the CD?
Wouldn't it mean it's impossible to restore the rpool using anything other
than a fully installed, and at least moderately updated on-hard-disk OS?
Maybe you could fully install onto hard disk 2 of the system, and then
upgrade, and then use that OS to restore the rpool onto disk 1 of the
system...

Would that be fuel to recommend people, "Never upgrade your version of zpool
or zfs on your rpool?"