On Mon, May 3, 2010 17:02, Richard Elling wrote:
> On May 3, 2010, at 2:38 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

>>> These calculations are based on fixed MTBF.  But disk MTBF decreases
>>> with
>>> age. Most disks are only rated at 3-5 years of expected lifetime.
>>> Hence,
>>> archivists
>>> use solutions with longer lifetimes (high quality tape = 30 years) and
>>> plans for
>>> migrating the data to newer media before the expected media lifetime is
>>> reached.
>>> In short, if you don't expect to read your 5-year lifetime rated disk
>>> for
>>> another 5 years,
>>> then your solution is uhmm... shall we say... in need of improvement.
>>
>> Are they giving tape that long an estimated life these days?  They
>> certainly weren't last time I looked.
>
> Yes.
> http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/storage/tape-storage/036556.pdf
> http://www.sunstarco.com/PDF%20Files/Quantum%20LTO3.pdf

Yep, they say 30 years.  That's probably in the same "years" where the MAM
gold archival DVDs are good for 200, I imagine.  (i.e. based on
accelerated testing, with the lab knowing what answer the client wants).
Although we may know more about tape aging, the accelerated tests may be
more valid for tapes?

But LTO-3 is a 400GB tape that costs, hmmm, maybe $40 each (maybe less
with better shopping, that's a quick Amazon price rounded down).  (I don't
factor in compression in my own analysis because my data is overwhelmingly
image filee and MP3 files, which don't compress further very well.)

Plus a $1000 drive, or $2000 for a 3-tape changer (and that's barely big
enough to back up my small server without manual intervention, might not
be by the end of the  year).

Tape is a LOT more expensive than my current hard-drive based backup
scheme, even if I use the backup drives only three years (and since they
spin less than 10% of the time, they should last pretty well).

Also, I lose my snapshots in a tape backup, whereas I keep them on my hard
drive backups.  (Or else I'm storing a ZFS send stream on tape and hoping
it will actually restore.)

>> And I basically don't trust tape; too many bad experiences (ever since I
>> moved off of DECTape, I've been having bad experiences with tape).  The
>> drives are terribly expensive and I can't afford redundancy, and in
>> thirty
>> years I very probably could not buy a new drive for my old tapes.
>>
>> I started out a big fan of tape, but the economics have been very much
>> against it in the range I'm working (small; 1.2 terabytes usable on my
>> server currently).
>>
>> I don't expect I'll keep my hard disks for 30 years; I expect I'll
>> upgrade
>> them periodically, probably even within their MTBF.  (Although note
>> that,
>> though tests haven't been run, the MTBF of a 5-year disk after 4 years
>> is
>> nearly certainly greater than 1 year.)
>
> Yes, but MTBF != expected lifetime.  MTBF is defined as Mean Time Between
> Failures (a rate), not Time Until Death (a lifetime).  If your MTBF was 1
> year,
> then the probability of failing within 1 year would be approximately 63%,
> assuming an exponential distribution.

Yeah, sorry, I stumbled into using the same wrong figures lots of people
were.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info