> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Michael Sullivan
>
> I have a question I cannot seem to find an answer to.

Google for ZFS Best Practices Guide  (on solarisinternals).  I know this
answer is there.

> I know if I set up ZIL on SSD and the SSD goes bad, the the ZIL will be
> relocated back to the spool.  I'd probably have it mirrored anyway,
> just in case.  However you cannot mirror the L2ARC, so...

Careful.  The "log device removal" feature exists, and is present in the
developer builds of opensolaris today.  However, it's not included in
opensolars 2009.06, and it's not included in the latest and greatest solaris
10 yet.  Which means, right now, if you lose an unmirrored ZIL (log) device,
your whole pool is lost, unless you're running a developer build of
opensolaris.

> What I want to know, is what happens if one of those SSD's goes bad?
> What happens to the L2ARC?  Is it just taken offline, or will it
> continue to perform even with one drive missing?

In the L2ARC (cache) there is no ability to mirror, because cache device
removal has always been supported.  You can't mirror a cache device, because
you don't need it.

If one of the cache devices fails, no harm is done.  That device goes
offline.  The rest stay online.

> Sorry, if these questions have been asked before, but I cannot seem to
> find an answer.

Since you said this twice, I'll answer it twice.  ;-)
I think the best advice regarding cache/log device mirroring is in the ZFS
Best Practices Guide.