On May 8, 2010, at 3:07 PM, Tony wrote:
> Lets say I have two servers, both running opensolaris with ZFS. I basically
> want to be able to create a filesystem where the two servers have a common
> volume, that is mirrored between the two.

In ZFS, file systems live in pools. Only one node can have a pool imported
at any point in time.

> Meaning, each server keeps an identical, real time backup of the other's data
> directory.

This can be done in several ways. Ian suggested AVS (Auto-CDP in NexentaStor
terminology). Others offer the notion of using mirrored zvols exported through
iSCSI.
I prefer shared storage and DAS.

> Set them both up as file servers, and load balance between the two for
> incoming requests.

This is more difficult, but also rarely needed. Processors are much, much
faster than disks, especially HDDs.  So if you get to the point where you
exceed the computational needs of a modern server (eg, more than 4x 10GbE)
then you will also need a huge number of HDDs or even SSDs.

OTOH, if you are just worried about the reliability of a server and need the
ability to failover the service to another server automatically, then there are
several HA cluster software solutions to consider: Oracle's OpenStorage,
Open HA Cluster, NexentaStor HA Cluster, RSF-1, etc.

> How would anyone suggest doing this?

Examine your requirements closely before you design the solution.
 -- richard

--
ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com