Awesome, that makes things a lot clearer now :)

>> When I look at the stmfadm llift-lu -v .... it shows me the block size
>> of "512".  I am running NexentaCore 3.0 (b134+) .  I wonder if the
>> default size has changed with different versions.
>
>I see what you're referring to. The iscsi block size, which is what the LUN
reports
>to initiator as it's block size, vs. the block size written to disk.

So in essence this is the disk "sector" size, again makes sense.   Are
people actually changing this value?

>> As long as you are using a multiple of the file system block size,
>> then alignment shouldn't be a problem with iscsi based zvols.  When
>> using a zvol comstar stores the metadata in a zvol object; instead of
>> the first part of the volume.
>
>There can be an "off by one" error which will cause small writes to span
blocks. If
>the data is not block aligned, then a 4k write causes two
read/modify/writes (on
>zfs two blocks have to be read then written and block pointers updated)
whereas
>an aligned write will not require the existing data to be read. This is
assuming that
>the zvol block size = VM fs block size = 4k. In the case where the zvol
block size is
>a multiple of the VM fs block size (eg 4k VM fs, 8k zvol), then writing one
fs block
>will alway require a read for an aligned filesystem, but could require two
for an
>unaligned fs if the VM fs block spans two zvol blocks.
>
>There's been a lot of discussion about this lately with the introduction of
WD's 4k
>sector drives, since they have a 512b sector emulation mode.

Doesn't this alignment have more to do with aligning writes to the
stripe/segment size of a traditional storage array?  The articles I am
reading suggests creating a small unused partition to take up the space up
to 127bytes (assuming 128byte segment), then create the real partition from
the 128th sector going forward.  I am not sure how this would happen with
zfs.

Thanks for clearing up my misconceptions.

Geoff