We have a 2006 Sun X4500 with Hitachi 500G disk drives.  Its been running for
over four years and just now fmadm & zpool reports a disk has failed.  No data
was lost (RAIDZ2 + hot spares worked as expected.)  But, the server is out of
warranty and we have no hardware support on it.

I found the Sun part numbers for X4500 replacement drives here:
http://docs.sun.com/source/819-4359-18/CH3-maint.html#50499627_22785

I've been waiting for a quote on one for a while.  In the meantime, I figure it
would be faster and cheaper just to buy a disk drive directly.  The /usr/bin/hd
program (from the SUNWhd package) gives this info for the failed disk:

  c5t0d0p0  VN67ZAKLT1MH  ATA      HITACHI HDS7250S  AJ0A 25 C (77 F)

It's a Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 model.  But, that particular model doesn't seem
to be around anymore (P7K500 is all I could find.)  I notice the Deskstar lines
are the cheapest, "consumer" level drives--I wonder why they didn't spec the
Ultrastar server/nearline drives instead?

I read about issues with zfs and write cache:
http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=449656&tstart=0

Does anyone have any bad experiences replacing a disk on an X4500 with a
non-Sun Hitachi?  The hdadm tool reports the write cache is enabled on all the
disks.  Are their any customized firmware on the Sun disks that make them safer
for using write cache?

Thanks