On 05/13/10 03:27 AM, Lori Alt wrote:
On 05/12/10 04:29 AM, Ian Collins wrote:
I just tried moving a dump volume form rpool into another pool so I used zfs send/receive to copy the volume (to keep some older dumps) then ran dumpadm -d to use the new location. This caused a panic. Nothing ended up in messages and needless to say, there isn't a dump!

Creating a new volume and using that worked fine.

This was on Solaris 10 update 8.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

The fact that a panic occurred is some kind of bug, but I'm also not surprised that this didn't work. Dump volumes have specialized behavior and characteristics and using send/receive to move them (or any other way to move them) is probably not going to work. You need to extract the dump from the dump zvol using savecore and then move the resulting file.

I'm surprised. I thought the volume used for dump is just a normal zvol or other block device. I didn't realise there was any relationship between a zvol and its contents.

One odd think I did notice was the device size was reported differently on the new pool:

zfs get all space/dump
NAME        PROPERTY              VALUE                  SOURCE
space/dump  type                  volume                 -
space/dump  creation              Wed May 12 20:56 2010  -
space/dump  used                  12.9G                  -
space/dump  available             201G                   -
space/dump  referenced            12.9G                  -
space/dump  compressratio         1.01x                  -
space/dump  reservation           none                   default
space/dump  volsize               16G                    -
space/dump  volblocksize          128K                   -
space/dump  checksum              on                     default
space/dump compression on inherited from space
space/dump  readonly              off                    default
space/dump  shareiscsi            off                    default
space/dump  copies                1                      default
space/dump  refreservation        none                   default
space/dump  primarycache          all                    default
space/dump  secondarycache        all                    default
space/dump  usedbysnapshots       0                      -
space/dump  usedbydataset         12.9G                  -
space/dump  usedbychildren        0                      -
space/dump  usedbyrefreservation  0                      -

zfs get all rpool/dump
NAME        PROPERTY              VALUE                  SOURCE
rpool/dump  type                  volume                 -
rpool/dump  creation              Thu Jun 25 19:40 2009  -
rpool/dump  used                  16.0G                  -
rpool/dump  available             10.4G                  -
rpool/dump  referenced            16K                    -
rpool/dump  compressratio         1.00x                  -
rpool/dump  reservation           none                   default
rpool/dump  volsize               16G                    -
rpool/dump  volblocksize          8K                     -
rpool/dump  checksum              off                    local
rpool/dump  compression           off                    local
rpool/dump  readonly              off                    default
rpool/dump  shareiscsi            off                    default
rpool/dump  copies                1                      default
rpool/dump  refreservation        none                   default
rpool/dump  primarycache          all                    default
rpool/dump  secondarycache        all                    default

--
Ian.