On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 3:19 AM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <r...@karlsbakk.net>
wrote:
> I've been reading a little, and it seems using WD Green drives isn't very
> popular in here. Can someone explain why these are so much worse than others?
> Usually I see drives go bad with more or less the same frequency...

I've been using 8 in a raidz2 for about a year and haven't had any
serious problems with them, but I changed the idle timer and TLER
settings before doing anything else.

They are slow, especially on random read or writes access. Adding a
slog / l2arc on ssd has helped a lot with this. Sequential access is
fast.

On the plus side, the Greens are 5400rpm and generate less heat and noise.

If you're aware of their potential shortcomings and what to expect
performance-wise, there's no real problem with them.

When it comes time to replace them (in 1.5 years while they are still
under warranty) I will probably go with a faster drive. I'd also
consider using 2.5" drives at this point.

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com