On 4/21/10 3:48 PM +0100 Bayard Bell wrote:
Oracle has a number of technologies that they've acquired that have
remained dual-licensed, and that includes acquiring InnoTech, which they
carried forward despite being able to use it as nearly an existential
threat to MySQL. In the case of their acquisition of Sleepycat, I'm aware
of open-source licensing terms becoming more generous after the Oracle
acquisition, where Oracle added a clear stipulation that redistribution
requiring commercial licensing had to involve third parties, where prior
to the acquisition Sleepycat had taken a less more expansive
interpretation that covered just about any form of software distribution.

I'm no supporter of Oracle's business practices, but I am 90% sure that
Sleepycat changed their license before the Oracle acquisition.  Yes,
it was particularly onerous before they went to standard GPL.

-frank