> > From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org
> [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> > boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of John
> Hoogerdijk
> >
> > I'm building a campus cluster with identical
> storage in two locations
> > with ZFS mirrors spanning both storage frames. Data
> will be mirrored
> > using zfs.  I'm looking for the best way to add log
> devices to this
> > campus cluster.
>
> Either I'm crazy, or I completely miss what you're
> asking.  You want to have
> one side of a mirror attached locally, and the other
> side of the mirror
> attached ... via iscsi or something ... across the
> WAN?  Even if you have a
> really fast WAN (1Gb or so) your performance is going
> to be terrible, and I
> would be very concerned about reliability.  What
> happens if a switch reboots
> or crashes?  Then suddenly half of the mirror isn't
> available anymore
> (redundancy is degraded on all pairs) and ... Will it
> be a degraded mirror?
> Or will the system just hang, waiting for iscsi IO to
> timeout?  When it
> comes back online, will it intelligently resilver
> only the parts which have
> changed since?  Since the mirror is now broken, and
> local operations can
> happen faster than the WAN can carry them across,
> will the resilver ever
> complete, ever?  I don't know.
>
> anyway, it just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
>  It sounds like
> omething that was meant for a clustering filesystem
> of some kind, not
> particularly for ZFS.
>
> If you are adding log devices to this, I have a
> couple of things to say:
>
> The whole point of a log device is to accelerate sync
> writes, by providing
> nonvolatile storage which is faster than the primary
> storage.  You're not
> going to get this if any part of the log device is at
> the other side of a
> WAN.  So either add a mirror of log devices locally
> and not across the WAN,
> or don't do it at all.
>

> > I am considering building a separate mirrored zpool
> of Flash disk that
> > span the frames,  then creating zvols to use as log
> devices for the
> > data zpool.  Will this work?   Any other
> suggestions?
>
> This also sounds nonsensical to me.  If your primary
> pool devices are Flash,
> then there's no point to add separate log devices.
>  Unless you have another
> ype of even faster nonvolatile storage.

Both frames are FC connected with Flash devices in the frame.  Latencies are
additive, so there is benefit to a logging device.  The cluster is a standard
HA cluster about 10km apart with identical storage in both locations, mirrored
using ZFS.

Think about the potential problems if I don't mirror the log devices across the
WAN.