Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
But one more thing:

If I'm not mistaken, L2ARC cached blocks will not get striped across more
than one device in your L2ARC, which means your L2ARC only helps for
latency, and not throughput.  (I'm really not certain about this, but I
think so.)  Given the stated usage scenario, I'm not sure if latency or
throughput would be more vital.
You are correct - L2ARC cache devices don't stripe - they're used round-robin. For multiple file access like the OP describes, it provides the same level of performance boost as with striping. I.e. N times performance for N cache devices. So, getting 4 x 40GB smaller devices is likely going to boost performance 4 x more than 1 x 160GB device.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support