On Fri, 21 May 2010, Demian Phillips wrote:

For years I have been running a zpool using a Fibre Channel array with
no problems. I would scrub every so often and dump huge amounts of
data (tens or hundreds of GB) around and it never had a problem
outside of one confirmed (by the array) disk failure.

I upgraded to sol10x86 05/09 last year and since then I have
discovered any sufficiently high I/O from ZFS starts causing timeouts
and off-lining disks. This leads to failure (once rebooted and cleaned
all is well) long term because you can no longer scrub reliably.

The problem could be with the device driver, your FC card, or the array itself. In my case, issues I thought were to blame on my motherboard or Solaris were due to a defective FC card and replacing the card resolved the problem.

If the problem is that your storage array is becoming overloaded with requests, then try adding this to your /etc/system file:

* Set device I/O maximum concurrency
*
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Evil_Tuning_Guide#Device_I.2FO_Queue_Size_.28I.2FO_Concurrency.29
set zfs:zfs_vdev_max_pending = 5