If you install Opensolaris with the AHCI settings off, then switch them on,
it will fail to boot

I had to reinstall with the settings correct.

the best way to tell if ahci is working is to use cfgadm
if you see your drives there, ahci is on

if not, then you may need to reinstall with it on (for the rpool at least)