Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010, sensille wrote:
>> The basic idea: the main problem when using a HDD as a ZIL device
>> are the cache flushes in combination with the linear write pattern
>> of the ZIL. This leads to a whole rotation of the platter after
>> each write, because after the first write returns, the head is
>> already past the sector that will be written next.
>> My idea goes as follows: don't write linearly. Track the rotation
>> and write to the position the head will hit next. This might be done
>> by a re-mapping layer or integrated into ZFS. This works only because
>> ZIL device are basically write-only. Reads from this device will be
>> horribly slow.
>
> I like your idea.  It would require a profiling application to learn the
> physical geometry and timing of a given disk drive in order to save the
> configuration data for it.  The timing could vary under heavy system
> load so the data needs to be sent early enough that it will always be
> there when needed.  The profiling application might need to drive a disk
> for several hours (or a day) in order to fully understand how it
> behaves.

A day is a good landmark. Currently the application runs several hours just
to map the tracks. But there's lots of room for algorithms that measure and
fine-tune on the fly. Every write is also a measurement.

> Remapped failed sectors would cause this micro-timing to fail,
> but only for the remapped sectors.

Of course you could detect those remapped sectors because of the failed timing
and stop using them in the future :)

--
Arne