On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Erik Trimble <erik.trim...@oracle.com>wrote:

>  On 6/15/2010 6:57 AM, Arve Paalsrud wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Erik Trimble <erik.trim...@oracle.com>wrote:
>
> I'd go with 2 Intel X25-E 32GB models for ZIL. Mirror them - striping isn't
>> really going to buy you much here (so far as I can tell).  6Gbit/s SAS is
>> wasted on HDs, so don't bother paying for it if you can avoid doing so.
>> Really, I'd suspect that paying for 6Gb/s SAS isn't worth it at all, as
>> really only the read performance of the L2ARC SSDs might possibly exceed
>> 3Gb/s SAS.
>>

>  What about bandwidth in this scenario? Won't the ZIL be limited to the
> throughput of only one X25-E? The SATA disks operates at 3Gb/s through the
> SAS expanders, so no 6Gb/s there.
>
> Yes - though I'm not sure how the slog devices work when there is more than
> one. I *don't* think they work like the L2ARC devices, which work
> round-robin. You'd have to ask.  If they're doing a true stripe, then I
> doubt you'll get much more performance as weird as that sounds.  Also, even
> with a single X25-E, you can service a huge number of IOPS - likely more
> small IOPS than can be pushed over even an Infiniband interface.  The place
> that the Infiniband would certainly outpace the X25-E's capacity is for
> large writes, where a single 100MB write would suck up all the X25-E's
> throughput capability.

But the Intel X25-E are limited to about 200 MB/s write, regardless of IOPS.
So when throwing a lot of 16k IOPS (about 13 000) at it, it will still be
limited to 200 MB/s - or about 6-7% of the throughput of an QDR InfiniBand
links capacity.

So I hereby officially ask: Can I have multiple slogs striped to handle
higher bandwidth than a single device can - is that supported in ZFS?