On 16/06/2010 09:11, Arne Jansen wrote:
MichaelHoy wrote:
I’ve posted a query regarding the visibility of snapshots via CIFS here
(http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=130577&tstart=0)
however, I’m beginning to suspect that it may be a more fundamental ZFS
question so I’m asking the same question here.

At what level does the “zfs” directory exist?

If  the “.zfs” subdirectory only exists as the direct child of the mount point
then can someone suggest how I can make it visible lower down without requiring
me (even if it were possible for 50k users) to make each users’ home folder a
file system?

By way of a background, I’m looking at the possibility of hosting our students
personal file space on OpenSolaris since the capacities required go well beyond
my budget to keep investing in our NetApp kit.
So far I’ve managed to implement the same functionality however, the visibility
of the snapshots to allow self-service file restores is a real issue which may
prevent me for going forward on this platform.

I’d appreciate any suggestions.
Do you only want to share the filesystem via CIFS? Have you had a look
at the shadow_copy2 extension for samba? It maps the snapshots so windows
can access them via "previous versions" from the explorers context menu.

btw: the CIFS service supports Windows Shadow Copies out-of-the-box.

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com