David Magda wrote:
> On Wed, June 16, 2010 03:03, Arne Jansen wrote:
>> Christopher George wrote:
>>
>>> For the record, not all SSDs "ignore cache flushes".  There are at least
>>> two SSDs sold today that guarantee synchronous write semantics; the
>>> Sun/Oracle LogZilla and the DDRdrive X1.  Also, I believe it is more
>> LogZilla? Are these those STEC-thingies? For the price of those I can
>> buy a battery backed-up RAID-controller and a few conventional drives.
>> For ZIL this will probably do better at a lower price than STEC.
>
> I'm not sure you'd get the same latency and IOps with disk that you can
> with a good SSD:
>
>     http://blogs.sun.com/brendan/entry/slog_screenshots
>
> You're also talking about using more power (and cooling), and more moving
> parts, which can affect reliability numbers. TANSTAAFL.
>
> Towards the bottom of that post Brendan Gregg configures eight Logzillas
> (which I'm sure has the cost of a small car), and got 114,000 synchronous
> write ops/sec over NFS; 85% of which were done in under 1.21 ms. I'm not
> sure how many spindles you'd need to purchase to get numbers like that in
> a more "traditional" configuration.

Please keep in mind I'm talking about a usage as ZIL, not as L2ARC or main
pool. Because ZIL issues nearly sequential writes, due to the NVRAM-protection
of the RAID-controller the disk can leave the write cache enabled. This means
the disk can write essentially with full speed, meaning 150MB/s for a 15k drive.
114000 4k writes/s are 456MB/s, so 3 spindles should do.

--Arne