On 06/21/10 03:55 AM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
Hi all

We're working on replacing our current fileserver with something based on
either Solaris or NexentaStor. We have about 200 users with variable needs.
There will also be a few common areas for each department and perhaps a backup
area. I think these should be separated with datasets, for simplicity and
overview, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

I have read people are having problems with lengthy boot times with lots of
datasets. We're planning to do extensive snapshotting on this system, so there
might be close to a hundred snapshots per dataset, perhaps more. With 200 users
and perhaps 10-20 shared department datasets, the number of filesystems,
snapshots included, will be around 20k or more.

200 user filesystems isn't too big. One of the systems I look after has about 1100 user filesystems with up to 20 snapshots each. The impact on boot time is minimal.

--
Ian.