On Jun 21, 2010, at 11:17 AM, Arne Jansen wrote:

> Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>> Hi all
>> I plan to setup a new system with four Crucial RealSSD 256MB SSDs for both
>> SLOG and L2ARC. The plan is to use four small slices for the SLOG, striping
>> two mirrors. I have seen questions in here about the theoretical benefit of
>> doing this, but I haven't seen any answers, just some doubt about the effect.
>> Does anyone know if this will help gaining performance? Or will it be bad?
>
> I'm planning to do something similar, though I only want to install 2 devices.
> Some thoughts I had so far:
>
> - mirroring l2arc won't gain anything, as it doesn't contain any information
>   that cannot be rebuilt if a device is lost.

This is not properly stated.  There is nothing in the L2ARC that is not also
in the pool, so it is simply a cache.  You are correct in that the L2ARC is
not rebuilt, but you miss the reason why the rebuild is not necessary (or
desired)

> Further, if a device is lost,
>   the system just uses the remaining devices. So I wouldn't waste any space
>   mirroring l2arc, I'll just stripe them.

Yes, this is the most economical solution.

> - the purpose of a zil device is to reduce latency.

The purpose of a separate device is to reduce latency for synchronous writes.

> Throughput is probably not
>   an issue, especially if you configure your pool so that large writes go to
>   the main pool. As 2 devices don't have a lower latency than one, I see no
>   real point in striping slog devices.

Striping separate log devices can help for high transaction rate environments
or where the latency is constrained by bandwidth.

> - For slog you need SSD with supercap which are significantly more expensive
>   than without. I'll try the OCZ Vertex 2 Pro in the next few days and can
>   give a report how it performs. For L2ARC cheap MLC SSDs will do.

For a separate log, choose a device which honors cache flush commands.
Nonvolatile caches are nice, but rare -- HDDs do act well as ZIL devices, but
almost never have nonvolatile caches.
 -- richard

--
Richard Elling