On 6/23/10 4:29 AM, Brian Nitz wrote:
I saw a problem while upgrading from build 140 to 141 where beadm
activate {build141BE} failed because installgrub failed:

# BE_PRINT_ERR=true beadm activate opensolarismigi-4
be_do_installgrub: installgrub failed for device c5t0d0s0.
Unable to activate opensolarismigi-4.
Unknown external error.

The reason installgrub failed is that it is attempting to install grub
on c5t0d0s0 which is where my root pool is:
# zpool status
pool: rpool
state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format. The pool can
still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done, the
pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 5h3m with 0 errors on Tue Jun 22 22:31:08 2010
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
rpool ONLINE 0 0 0
c5t0d0s0 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

But the raw device doesn't exist:
# ls -ls /dev/rdsk/c5*
/dev/rdsk/c5*: No such file or directory

Even though zfs pool still sees it as c5, the actual device seen by
format is c9t0d0s0

Is there any workaround for this problem? Is it a bug in install, zfs or
somewhere else in ON?

In this instance beadm is a victim of the zpool configuration reporting
the wrong device. This does appear to be a ZFS issue since the device
actually being used is not what zpool status is reporting. I'm forwarding
this on to the ZFS alias to see if anyone has any thoughts there.

-evan