On 6/30/2010 2:01 PM, valrh...@gmail.com wrote:
Another question on SSDs in terms of performance vs. capacity.

Between $150 and $200, there are at least three SSDs that would fit the rough
specifications for the L2ARC on my system:

1. Crucial C300, 64 GB: $150: medium performance, medium capacity.
2. OCZ Vertex 2, 50 GB: $180: higher performance, lower capacity. (The Agility
2 is similar, but $15 cheaper)
3. Corsair Force 60 GB, $195: similar performance, slightly higher capacity
(more over-provisioning with the same SandForce controller).
4. Intel X25M G2, 80 GB: $200: largest capacity, probably lowest(?) performance.

So which would be the best choice L2ARC? Is it size, or is it throughput, that
really matter for this?

Within this range, price doesn't make much difference. Thanks, as always, for
the guidance.

For L2ARC, random read performance is the primary important factor. Given what I've seen of the C300's random read performance for NON-4k block sizes, and for short queue depths (both of which are highly likely for an L2ARC device), my recommendation of the above four is #4, the Intel device. #2 is possibly the best performing for ZIL usage, should you choose to use a portion of the device for that purpose.

For what you've said your usage pattern is, I think the Intel X25M is the best fit for good performance and size for the dollar.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support