On 07/ 9/10 10:59 AM, Brandon High wrote:

Personally, I've started organizing datasets in a hierarchy, setting the properties that I want for descendant datasets at a level where it will apply to everything that I want to get it. So if you have your source at tank/export/foo and your destination is tank2/export/foo, you'd want to set compression, etc at tank/export or tank2/export.

I believe that is the best way to go. I tend to set key attributes such as compress at the root and change on filesystems where they are not appropriate. My backup server has compress and dedup on at the root, along with atime=off and readonly=on.

If you're going to have a newer zfs version on the destination, be aware that you can't receive from datasets with a higher version than the destination.

Yes, one to watch for recovery! You can set the filesystem version explicitly, but then you loose the newer version's features.

--
Ian.