Among all my snapshots, I'm interested about space consumption of some
of them. Is it possible to calculate how much space would be freed if
I destroy only some of all snapshots?

zfs list -t snapshot

that'll show you their sizes as well as other details

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy

Okay, let's think about this situation:

machine# zfs get used storage
NAME     PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
storage  used      1,00G    -

It seems my storage consumes one gigabyte in total, and that sounds logical, since I've had one 512MB and two 256MB files in my pool, in different snapshots. There has been file removings, etc., but all of those three files are still there, stored in some snapshots. Now lets list snapshots:

machine# zfs list -t snapshot
NAME                 USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
stor...@snapshot_1    18K      -   512M  -
stor...@snapshot_2      0      -   769M  -
stor...@snapshot_3      0      -   769M  -
stor...@snapshot_4      0      -   769M  -
stor...@snapshot_5      0      -   769M  -

This is the important moment. I would like to know how much space would become free if I destroy snapshots 4 and 5. Normally I cannot destroy them, but here, in this test I can. So lets find out:

machine# zfs destroy stor...@snapshot_5
machine# zfs destroy stor...@snapshot_4

And then check used space again

machine# zfs get used storage
NAME     PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
storage  used      769M     -

About 256MB was released, but that number cannot be calculated from those that were given from "zfs list -t snapshot" (0, 0, 769M and 769M). I also tried "zfs list -o all -t snapshot" but that did not give any interesting numbers.

I think this is because snapshots 4 and 5 are the only snapshots that contain one 256MB file. If they are examined one snapshot at a time, then it looks like the data is not unique, but if there would be possible to examine them "as a whole", then it would reveal that these two snapshots are the only ones where the file exist. This would mean that when destroying both of them, the file would be destroyed and 256MB would be freed.

Henrik Heino