> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Cindy Swearingen
>
> Hi Ned,
>
> One of the benefits of using a mirrored ZFS configuration is just
> replacing each disk with a larger  disk, in place, online, and so on...

Yes, the autoexpand property (or whatever it's called).  Although I'm not
sure if it would help me in this case (because my requirements require that
I keep the OS confined to 160G and partition the rest for other uses...)

Another big benefit of ZFS mirror over hardware mirror is that when you
scrub ... it will actually scrub both disks.  If you scrub a hardware
mirror, there's no telling *what* you're scrubbing.  A block from the first
one, a block from the 2nd one, a whole swath of blocks from the first one,
alternating with just an occasional small chunk from the second one ...
Maybe you're only hitting one disk the whole time, for all you know.  The
one thing you can safely assume if scrubbing a hardware mirror is that
you're only scrubbing half of your data.  At best.

> http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Troubleshooting_Guid
>
> ZFS Root Pool Recovery

Thanks for that.