>Any idea why? Does the zfs send or zfs receive bomb out part way through?

I have no idea why mbuffer fails. Changing the -s from 128 to 1536 made it take
longer to occur and slowed it down bu about 20% but didn't resolve the issue.
It just ment I might get as far as 2.5gb before mbuffer bombed with broken
pipe. Trying -r and -R with various values had no effect.

>Might be worth trying it over rsh if security isn't an issue, and then
>you lose the encryption overhead. Trouble is that then you've got almost
>no buffering, which can do bad things to the performance, which is why
>mbuffer would be ideal if it worked for you.

I seem to remember reading that rsh was remapped to ssh in Solaris.

I heard of some folks using netcat.
I haven't figured out where to get netcat nor the syntax for using it yet.