I think that Device Manager in Windows 7 doesn't do any harm. Instead I used
this utility to try and format an external USB hard drive.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/fat32format.htm

I used the GUI format
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.htm

I clicked and started this GUI format without inserting the USB hard drive and
it messed up the ZFS mirror. Entirely my fault, but just posting it out there
so there is some record of it. I don't know what the utility may have modified.