On Jul 28, 2010, at 12:41 PM, sol wrote:
> Having just done a scrub of a mirror I've lost a file and I'm curious how this
> can happen in a mirror.  Doesn't it require the almost impossible scenario
> of exactly the same sector being trashed on both disks?  However the
> zpool status shows checksum errors not I/O errors and I'm not sure what
> that means in this case.

It means that the data read back from the disk is not what ZFS thought
it wrote.

> I thought that a zfs mirror would be the "ultimate" in protection but it's
> not!

Are you saying you would rather have the data silently corrupted?

> Any ideas why and how to protect against this in the future?

This can happen if there is a failure in a common system component
during the write (eg. main memory, HBA, PCI bus, CPU, bridges, etc.)

> (BTW it's osol official release 2009.06 snv_111b)

On more modern releases, the details of the corruption are shown in the
FMA dump.  However, this feature does not exist in OpenSolaris 2009.06.
 -- richard

--
Richard Elling
rich...@nexenta.com   +1-760-896-4422