On 2-8-2010 2:53, Richard Elling wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2010, at 11:35 AM, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
>

>> Just wondering if anyone has experimented with working out the best zvol
>> recordsize for a zvol which is backing a zpool over iSCSI?
>>

> This is an interesting question.  Today, most ZFS implementations are done
> directly on devices with an effective, fixed recordsize of 512 bytes.  But
> that
> isn't very efficient and things like raidz don't quite work like you might
> expect.
> Next up is 4KB sectors, which is a better starting point, IMHO.
>
> That said, ultimately it is the size of the data to be written that dictates
> the
> best answer.

Up to now i configure the recordsize of a iscsi zvol to match the same
as the one seen by the iscsi initiator side.
So for instance if i'm creating an iscsi zvol for a NTFS volume ,
depending on the size of the zvol, i use from 4KB up to 64KB as seen in
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B140365&x=20&y=18 .
Likewise if i'm going to use an EXT3 filesystem i try to use the same
rules, as seen in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3#Size_limits .

This has been working good for me, but probably i'm not the best example
since i "refuse" to provide iscsi zvol's on RAIDn implementations, i
only use ZFS Mirrors for that..

Bruno

believed to be clean.