On Aug 4, 2010, at 12:23 AM, Darren Taylor wrote:

> Hi George,
>
> I think you are right. The log device looks to have suffered a complete loss,
> there is no data on the disk at all. The log device was a "acard" ram drive
> (with battery backup), but somehow it has faulted clearing all data.
>
> --victor gave me this advice, and queried about the zpool.cache--
> Looks like there's a hardware problem with c7d0 as it appears to contain
> garbage. Do you have zpool.cache with this pool configuration available?

Besides containing garbage former log device now appears to have different
geometry and is not able to read in the higher LBA ranges. So i'd say it is
broken.

> c7d0 was the log device. I'm unsure what the next step is, but i'm assuming
> there is a way to grab the drives original config from the zpool.cache file
> and apply back to the drive?

I mocked up log device in a file, and that made zpool import more happy:

bash-4.0# zpool import
  pool: tank
    id: 15136317365944618902
 state: DEGRADED
status: The pool was last accessed by another system.
action: The pool can be imported despite missing or damaged devices.  The
        fault tolerance of the pool may be compromised if imported.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
config:

        tank        DEGRADED
          raidz1-0  ONLINE
            c6t4d0  ONLINE
            c6t5d0  ONLINE
            c6t6d0  ONLINE
            c6t7d0  ONLINE
          raidz1-1  ONLINE
            c6t0d0  ONLINE
            c6t1d0  ONLINE
            c6t2d0  ONLINE
            c6t3d0  ONLINE
        cache
          c8d1
        logs
          c13d1s0   UNAVAIL  cannot open

bash-4.0# zpool import -fR / tank
cannot import 'tank': one or more devices is currently unavailable
        Recovery is possible, but will result in some data loss.
        Returning the pool to its state as of July 21, 2010 03:49:50 AM NZST
        should correct the problem.  Approximately 91 seconds of data
        must be discarded, irreversibly.  After rewind, several
        persistent user-data errors will remain.  Recovery can be attempted
        by executing 'zpool import -F tank'.  A scrub of the pool
        is strongly recommended after recovery.
bash-4.0#

So if you are happy with the results, you can perform actual import with

zpool import -fF -R / tank

You should then be able to remove log device completely.

regards
victor