> So, after rebuilding, you don't want to restore the
> same OS that you're
> currently running.  But there are some files you'd
> like to save for after
> you reinstall.  Why not just copy them off somewhere,
> in a tarball or
> something like that?

It's about 200+ gigs of files.  If I had a third drive, empty for all this, I'd
do that in a heartbeat.

> > Given a rpool with disks c7d0s0 and c6d0s0, I think
> the following
> > process will do what I need:
> >
> > 1. Run these commands
> >
> > # zpool detach rpool c6d0s0
> > # zpool create preserve c6d0s0
>
> The only reason you currently have the rpool in a
> slice (s0) is because
> that's a requirement for booting.  If you aren't
> planning to boot from the
> device after breaking it off the mirror ... Maybe
> just use the whole device
> instead of the slice.
>
> zpool create preserve c6d0
>

> > # zfs create export/home
> > # zfs send rpool/export/home | zfs receive
> preserve/home
> > # zfs send (other filesystems)
> > # zpool export preserve
>
> These are not right.  It should be something more
> like this:
> zfs create -o readonly=on preserve/rpool_export_home
> zfs snapshot rpool/export/h...@fubarsnap
> zfs send rpool/export/h...@fubarsnap | zfs receive -F
> preserve/rpool_export_home
>
> And finally
> zpool export preserve

Good catch on the readonly.  The snapshot wouldn't hurt either.  The zfs
manpage on svn_133 suggests that I could do the whole send/receive directly
against the filesystems without a snapshot, but one extra step isn't going to
hurt.

> > 2. Build out new host with svn_134, placing new
> root pool on c6d0s0 (or
> > whatever it's called on the new SATA controller)
>
> Um ... I assume that's just a type-o ...
> Yes, install fresh.  No, don't overwrite the existing
> "preserve" disk.

Yeah, typo.

> For that matter, why break the mirror at all?  Just
> install the OS again,
> onto a single disk, which implicitly breaks the
> mirror.  Then when it's all
> done, use "zpool import" to import the other half of
> the mirror, which you
> didn't overwrite.

I was worried about how "zpool import" would identify it.  If I just detach the
disk from the mirror, would it still consider itself a part of "rpool"?  If so,
how would ZFS handle two disks that belong to two distinct pools with the same
name?

> > 3. Run zpool import against "preserve", copy over
> data that should be
> > migrated.
> >
> > 4. Rebuild the mirror by destroying the "preserve"
> pool and attaching
> > c7d0s0 to the rpool mirror.
> >
> > Am I missing anything?
>
> If you blow away the partition table of the 2nd disk
> (as I suggested above,
> but now retract) then you'll have to recreate the
> partition table of the
> second disk.  So you only attach s0 to s0.
>
> After attaching, and resilvering, you'll want to
> installgrub on the 2nd
> disk, or else it won't be bootable after the first
> disk fails.  See the ZFS
> Troubleshooting Guide for details.

Yep.  I keep forgetting about the installgrub part.  And the future plan would
be to use the whole disk instead of just a slice.