On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Erast <er...@gnusolaris.org> wrote:

> On 08/13/2010 01:39 PM, Tim Cook wrote:
>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/13/opensolaris_is_dead/
>>
>> I'm a bit surprised at this development... Oracle really just doesn't
>> get it.  The part that's most disturbing to me is the fact they won't be
>> releasing nightly snapshots.  It appears they've stopped Illumos in its
>> tracks before it really even got started (perhaps that explains the
>> timing of this press release)
>>

> Wrong. Be patient, with the pace of current Illumos development it soon
> will have all the closed binaries liberated and ready to sync up with
> promised ON code drops as dictated by GPL and CDDL licenses.

Given the path they are heading down, there's absolutely 0 guarantee that
new features added to Solaris will be opened with CDDL.  Furthermore,
there's nothing guaranteeing the community is able to reproduce those
features on their own if things do shutdown more.  That's clearly by design.

Obviously Illumos can fork, but that's still 'stopped dead in its tracks' as
far as I am concerned.

--Tim