On 08/14/10 09:36 AM, Paul B. Henson wrote:
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Tim Cook wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/13/opensolaris_is_dead/
"Oracle will spend *more* money on OpenSolaris development than Sun did."

At least, as a Sun customer, that's the line they were trying to feed me
during the buy out.

Why exactly would I want to do business with a company that lies to its
customers?

They've *never* said "OpenSolaris" in this context. The quote was for "Solaris".

Oracle *will* spend more on Solaris than Sun did.  I believe that.

The question is whether they will get as much for their development dollar as Sun did. With the brain drain happening (I know things I can't say, but I was one of the parties to leave a couple of months ago), I think that it will cost Oracle more money to keep Solaris development active than it did Sun. Of course, they won't be "wasting" money on things like community collaboration, open ARC review, etc...

    -- Garrett