> Also the linux NFSv4 client is bugged (as in hang-the-whole-machine bugged).
> I am deploying a new osol fileserver for home directories and I'm using NFSv3
> + automounter (because I am also using one dataset per user, and thus I have
> to mount each home dir separately).

We are also in the same boat here. I have about 125TB of ZFS storage in
production currently, running OSOL, across 5 X4540s. We tried the NFSv4 route,
and crawled back to NFSv3 and the linux automounter because NFSv4 on Linux is
*that* broken. As in hung-disk-io-that-wedges-the-whole-box broken. We know
that NFSv3 was never meant for the scale we're using it at, but we have no
choice in the matter.

On the topic of Linux clients, NFS and ZFS: We've also found that Linux is bad
at handling lots of mounts/umounts. We will occasionally find a client where
the automounter requested a mount, but it never actually completed. It'll show
as mounted in /proc/mounts, but won't *actually* be mounted. A umount -f for
the affected filesystem fixes this. On ~250 clients in an HPC environment,
we'll see such an error every week or so.

I'm hoping that recent versions of linux (i.e. RHEL 6) are a bit better at
NFSv4, but i'm not holding my breath.

--
Greg Mason
HPC Administrator