On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Freddie Cash <fjwc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Orvar Korvar
> <knatte_fnatte_tja...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> A) Resilver = Defrag. True/false?
>
> False.  Resilver just rebuilds a drive in a vdev based on the
> redundant data stored on the other drives in the vdev.  Similar to how
> replacing a dead drive works in a hardware RAID array.
>
>> B) If I buy larger drives and resilver, does defrag happen?
>
> No.

Actually, thinking about it ... since the resilver is writing new data
to an empty drive, in essence, the drive is defragmented.

>> C) Does zfs send zfs receive mean it will defrag?
>
> No.

Same here, but only if the receiving pool has never had any snapshots
deleted or files deleted, so that there are no holes in the pool.
Then the newly written data will be contiguous (not fragmented).

--
Freddie Cash
fjwc...@gmail.com