Axelle Apvrille wrote:
Hi all,
I would like to add a new partition to my ZFS pool but it looks like it's more
stricky than expected.

The layout of my disk is the following:
- first partition for Windows. I want to keep it. (no formatting !)
- second partition for OpenSolaris.This is where I have all the Solaris slices
(c0d0s0 etc). I have a single ZFS pool. OpenSolaris boots on ZFS.
- third partition: a FAT partition I want to keep (no formatting !)
- fourth partition: I want to add this partition to my ZFS pool (or another
pool ?). I don't care if information on that partition is lost, I can format it
if necessary.
zpool add c0d0p0:2 ? Hmm...

You cannot add it to the root pool, as the root pool cannot be a RAID0.

You can make another pool from it...

Ideally, set the FDISK partition type to something that none of the OS's on the system will know anything about. (It doesn't matter what it is from the zfs point of view, but you don't want any of the OS's thinking it's something they believe they know how to use.)

zpool create tank c0d0p4 (for the 4th FDISK primary partition).

Note that two zpools on the same disk may give you poor performance if you are accessing both at the same time, as you are forcing head seeking between them.

--
Andrew Gabriel